Friday, September 16, 2011

Why Garlic Is Awesome

Garlic just might be my favorite ingredient. There's nothing else that's so capable of giving a dish pop and pow - it's a strong flavor that can either complement other ingredients or stand on its own as the focus of a dish. So what is it that makes garlic so magical?

Pictured: perfection.


Interestingly, many cultures in years gone by have been of the opinion that garlic actually is magical. In European mythos, garlic could protect people from the dreaded vampire. People in parts of India hang garlic by their doors to ward off evil to this day. Eastern religions have declared it a food that causes bodily desires to grow irresistible, i.e. that it makes important rituals such as meditation near impossible. Many cultures have historically used it for medicinal purposes. Greek physicians - even Hippocrates himself - recommended its use for treatment of conditions from respiratory issues to parasitic infestations.

In all likelihood, the reason it's gotten so much attention is because of just how potent its flavor is. Garlic gets its unique taste from a number of chemical compounds. Many of these contain sulfur, which is generally associated with strong smells both good and bad. Interestingly, raw and untouched garlic doesn't really have much of a scent. The strong odorant compounds are released when individual cells in the garlic plant become damaged, likely as an evolutionary protection against meddling birds, rodents, and insects. One particularly noteworthy compound is called allicin. Allicin is responsible for giving raw garlic its sharp, burning taste. It is quickly broken down when garlic is cooked. It's also an antibiotic!

The benefits of garlic extend beyond preventing bacterial infection. It also contains antifungal compounds, and has been shown to help treat fungal infections such as thrush. Depending on which studies you look at, garlic may or may not help to lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Early research suggests that it may be effective as a treatment for hypertension. Many animal and some human studies have even shown garlic's effectiveness in the prevention of certain cancers. Indeed, reviewers have found that nations whose traditional cuisine contains a lot of garlic tend to have lower rates of, for example, stomach and colon cancer.

Health benefits aside, I would still eat garlic as often as possible. It's so uniquely pungent and bold that I couldn't possibly ignore it. Expect a couple of garlic-centric recipes in the future - I hear good things about garlic soup, and I'd love to try giving it my own flair.

5 comments:

  1. Have you tried roasting it? If not, it's definitely worth a shot- just cut off the top of the bulb, dab with olive oil, salt and pepper, and toss in the oven wrapped in foil until it gets all brown and caramelized. Extremely delicious on pizzas or anything else, and it's become my "I'm busy studying but this will make anything taste good" go-to for all the pasta I eat during exams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roasted garlic is a beautiful thing. I've only made it once or twice, but it's super simple and, as you said, makes everything awesome. It's great just as a spread on bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Nehh... needs gaaalick" -Aboriginal tribesman's response when questioned about the flavor of his wild-game-on-a-stick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rich, I know I may have mentioned this before, but I really have a muted taste bud for garlic (or something of that sad defect). I never really taste it in anything I eat, and you know my family loves Garlic! Even on garlic bread, I only register the savory butter flavor or saltiness of garlic/salt. Only raw cut cloves will I get a thick semi-spicy aroma hit my nose.

    Is it possible that I lack something, the same way people can't smell asparagus like you noted in your past post that is equally as sweet and awesome as this one, that everyone should read? Please explain this curse through science!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I <3 garlic any way in anything. As for garlic soup it is fantastic. The Portuguese/Spanish restaurant by mom's house has a Sopa de Ajo (garlic soup) which I must get every time I go. Brandon I feel horrible for you that you cannot enjoy the glorious bulb of garlic.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Suggestions? Corrections?