Monday, September 19, 2011

Hops in the White House

Folks, this is a major home brewing update. Regardless of political affiliations, my respect for the president just increased about tenfold. Why? It seems that Obama has begun engaging in the wonderful (and somewhat historic) past time of brewing beer.

According to an article on Gizmodo, Obama bought home brewing equipment (with his own money, mind you) in preparation for the Super Bowl earlier this year. Though for obvious reasons he hasn't had time to do much brewing, he's cranked out a couple batches of White House Honey Ale since then.

He's following in some awfully large footsteps. Back during the time when the United States was first coming into being, many of our founding fathers were known to be home brewers. This includes certified bad-asses Thomas Jefferson and George Washington.

So go ahead! Drink and be merry, and know that when you pop open a beer, you're opening a tall bottle of patriotism. Ben Franklin once said that wine is "constant proof that god loves us, and loves to see us happy."

Edit: I forgot to give props to my good friend and fellow beer enthusiast Battz, who linked me to this article in the first place. I tip my hat to you.

3 comments:

  1. That is quite bad ass. Perhaps I shall give homebrewing a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want a bottle of White House Honey Ale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't we all, Battz? And Dave, so far it seems like it's going to end up as a very cool hobby. There's a noticeable initial investment, but brewing afterwards is inexpensive (assuming that you don't ruin your batches of beer). I'm looking forward to seeing what happens.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Suggestions? Corrections?