Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bold Beginnings

As a medical student, it isn't always terribly easy to make wonderful food for yourself. Studies are time consuming, and putting an hour a day to the side in order to have a prepare and eat a good meal isn't always the first thing on someone's mind. For me, cooking has been a way to relax and enjoy myself for years. I first started to dabble while studying abroad at Scotland's University of Dundee. I had to, really - there was no dining hall, and the UK is an expensive enough place to live without eating out every day. When I came back stateside, I tried to keep up the habit and began using cooking as a way to unwind and distract myself from my studies. That half hour or hour of cooking that for some seems so pointless is a pleasant diversion for me. That said, I'll be doing my best in the coming years to make the most of my cooking time. It's a goal of mine to make tasty and (somewhat) healthy food in as quick and easy a way as possible. As I experiment, I'll be posting pictures, recipes, and reviews for whatever it is I happen to concoct.

And speaking of concoctions, there are few things I enjoy more than a well-brewed beer. I'm a bit of a beer geek, and my infatuation with the beverage runs the gamut from doppelbocks and dubbels to pale ales and pilsners. I love trying new things, and I love trying to dissect and analyze them. Perhaps more importantly, today I received a set of homebrewing equipment I ordered online. I'll be developing and brewing beers with a good friend of mine, and I'll try to give you a glimpse into what it is we're doing and why we're doing it.

Of course, nothing I do would be complete without throwing just the least bit of science into the mix. I'll do my best to keep it under control.

1 comment:

  1. Rich,
    Nice intro though I have to wonder perhaps you aren't studying hard enough if you have time for a food blog. Regardless of the food I have sampled of yours it has all been scrumptious so I look forward to updates.
    #2
    PS I was just joking about the studying thing I have full confidence that you are going to kick med school's proverbial ass.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Suggestions? Corrections?