Saturday, September 10, 2011

Let the Madness Begin

The time has come. My buddy Abel and I have bought our first set of beer ingredients. Nothing huge, nothing creative - just beer.

We've decided to brew a pale ale for our first brew, but we somehow were talked into buying a hodgepodge starter kit when we went down to the local brewing supply shop. I'm optimistic that it's going to turn out well regardless. The recipe we'll be using is simple. For those who are familiar with making beer, we have about 6 pounds of malt extract that we'll be using in our five gallon batch. About pounds of that are already hopped (Coopers Selection IPA, $24 on Amazon), but we'll be adding additional hops to the beer to give it a nice bite. Although that can of goodness claims to be for IPAs, with the mixture of hops and malt that we have the brew will probably more closely resemble a regular pale ale. Brewing will take place a week from today, and I'll talk more about what we're doing and how we're doing it then. Rest assured that I'm excited and I can't wait to drink awesome beer.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad this no longer involves MY.. I mean our laundry room. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooool! Rich, I have a great idea for your blog. Hit me up!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Suggestions? Corrections?